[simpits-tech] Marv... :)

Rod Dale simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 04 May 2002 08:23:15 -0700

>Sounds like my plan is exactly what you need. With a little work you
>could machine something that would bolt in just like a linear pot, but
>still use a much more durable rotary pot. Besides, a pulley arrangement
>is better at translating rotary motion to linear (and then back to
>rotary, but that's irrelevant ;)
>
>Of course that assumes that Beagles don't have sliding throttles.
>--
>Steve

To convert linear motion into rotary I used an old hand drill, the type
carpenters use to have. The linear input arm was attached to the small arm
where the handle connects and a rotary pot attached to the chuck - just
tighten it like a drill. You get over 90 degrees of travel in the arm which
equates to almost 360 degrees in the rotary.
It works well. I have that setup in my control column for pitch and roll.
I agree, rotary pots are more robust than linear.
I've also updated my web site - needs more work but hey, who gets time to
regularly update their web site when there's a sim to be built :-)

Rod
F-111
http://cust.idl.net.au/0297000123