[simpits-tech] What's on the Workbench?

Stuart Whelan simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 1 May 2002 20:39:31 +1200

Well, time to burst into print on this..

My workbench is more virtual than physical. :)

I have three simulator related projects on the go at the moment. They
are:

1) Working on a friends 767 sim. This involves mostly working out the
Hardware <-> FS2k2 interfaces and cutting code. So far we have only used
epic type hardware. We have got the throttles and reverse thrust
working, com radio displays, transponder display, Fuel flow off and on
buttons, flaps and spoilers all working.

2) This is my baby. :) I am programming 28 pin PIC micro controllers to
allow devices to be controller from the PC via the serial port, and to
allow hardware to talk back to the PC. I have designed a token ring type
communications protocol and worked it so that new PIC modules to be
bolted into the ring as desired. The PIC's get a packet, and if it is
not for them they pass it on to the next PIC. Several times a second a
empty packet gets transmitted and any PIC's with data for the PC can use
it to send a reply.

A friend has provided me with the electronics expertise. :)

The PIC's are all programmed in assembler and the PC software is written
in C++.

So far I have a proto-type board with 2 Seven Segs connected, and I have
successfully had Com display being sent from flight sim 2k2 into the
seven seg displays.

I am currently doing a PCB design, and once I have finished that I will
get some PCB's. Each PIC module can handle up to 12 Seven Segs, or any
number of other devices. The whole protocol is pretty generic and I can
use the setup to control almost anything. The costs of building one
module to handle 12 displays should be under $40 New Zealand, not
including the 7-seg display units.

3) I am playing around with writing MFD type software for another mate
building a A4... :) I am just waiting on some info on what MFD screens
are required. I have taught myself OpenGL for this one, but am not sure
if it will be required for the project.

That is me for now.

Cheers!
Stuart.