[simpits-tech] Driving Resolvers

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:43:06 -0800 (PST)

> Question is - after looking at Matt Wietlispach's webpage
> http://members.aol.com/wietlpachm/howto/technical.htm
>
> There is got to be a way of doing it- Matt is doing it but HOW??

He's using a Digital to Synchro converter.  He managed to find some
surplus.  This allows him to "correctly" drive his real aircraft
instruments.  The cheapest D->S chip I've found is $955 in single
quantities.

> Gene - I got an absolute encoder to work on the back side of the VOR.
> Thanks - it is easy - it is using a 9 bit data bus with BCD code. The
> signals go into the serial port and VB picks the number - i just have
> not wrote the code to write to FSUIPC.

Cool!  Glad to hear it!

> Back to the resolver - someone back a couple weeks said that resolvers
> have little torque and to use a stepper motor - The ADI uses resolver
> for both Roll and Pitch so I am going to stay with that. It will save
> me some time by not ripping the damm thing apart and putting in
> stepper motors.

Actually, resolvers have a huge amount of torque.  I think you're thinking
of air-core motors.  They work on a similar principle, but product almost
no torque.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"