[simpits-tech] great site for cockpit builders

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:21:20 -0500

--=====================_7588546==_.ALT

hi, ken.

i'm writing to you directly instead of slamming PFC on the big list.

their support is good, their hardware is great. their documentation, order
fullfillment, and software have much to be desired.

it's puzzling to spend $1,000.00 on their jetliner yoke, and not even get a
driver. they point you to their competition (CH products in this case), and
suggest you download _their_ driver. smell a problem with their software
development?

of course, you discover this ONLY after severe head-scratching, since they
don't document any of this. you have to visit their site, then the FAQs to
figure things out. if you just install the yoke, it will not work. period.
there is now way it could as shipped. no apologies from PFC.

their $2,000.00 radio stack won't work with pro pilot, which totally
negates the function of the radios. this works just fine with goflight
boxes. they shipped the wrong cables with the unit, and (like your
experience) make it too easy to damage their equipment by using very
similar connectors. all these problems are easily fixed if they just spent
a minute thinking about design.

they apologize, then tell you that the microsoft stick just won't work with
their equipment. 'tis strange, because the stick works just fine UNTIL you
install their driver.

when you have a working system (microsoft FS, MS stick), install a driver,
then see everything break, you HAVE to suspect the driver. this is
considered by 'normal' companies as a "show stopper", but just is not so in
their case. they just apologize for it, and tell you not to do it.

they gave me the email address of the serial driver developer. he was hired
as a contractor and now works for another company. again, i feel this
reveals their feelings that software is not as important as the hardware
they are developing.

the bag 'o screws..... i bet it was intended to be shipped to someone else.
it just points out another flaw in their system. they appear to be
full-throttle ahead of product development at the cost of total quality
control.

i will be building a multi-throttle system using the USB connection, and
keep the serial port for my hagstrom card. their serial driver was not a
"good citizen" (like those which share the printer port), and monopolized
the serial port whether or not i was running flightsim.

take care,

  - adm -

At 09:34 AM 3/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Alan
>
>Iam using the serial driver with FSUIPC in the throttle box and have had
>no problem to date.
>

> > They responded by mailing me a plastic bag with a bunch of screws in
> > it.
>
>That is a new one I have not see before - I have used there tech support
>after I plugged the power into
>the wrong port and they mailed everything out fast.
>
>Sorry to hear about this.
>
>Ken Trager

>page.  Thanks!

----------

Alan D. Mazurka                    Webspace Design & Implementation
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_7588546==_.ALT

hi, ken.<br><br>
i'm writing to you directly instead of slamming PFC on the big
list.<br><br>
their support is good, their hardware is great. their documentation,
order fullfillment, and software have much to be desired.<br><br>
it's puzzling to spend $1,000.00 on their jetliner yoke, and not even get
a driver. they point you to their competition (CH products in this case),
and suggest you download _their_ driver. smell a problem with their
software development?<br><br>
of course, you discover this ONLY after severe head-scratching, since
they don't document any of this. you have to visit their site, then the
FAQs to figure things out. if you just install the yoke, it will not
work. period. there is now way it could as shipped. no apologies from
PFC.<br><br>
their $2,000.00 radio stack won't work with pro pilot, which totally
negates the function of the radios. this works just fine with goflight
boxes. they shipped the wrong cables with the unit, and (like your
experience) make it too easy to damage their equipment by using very
similar connectors. all these problems are easily fixed if they just
spent a minute thinking about design.<br><br>
they apologize, then tell you that the microsoft stick just won't work
with their equipment. 'tis strange, because the stick works just fine
UNTIL you install their driver. <br><br>
when you have a working system (microsoft FS, MS stick), install a
driver, then see everything break, you HAVE to suspect the driver. this
is considered by 'normal' companies as a &quot;show stopper&quot;, but
just is not so in their case. they just apologize for it, and tell you
not to do it.<br><br>
they gave me the email address of the serial driver developer. he was
hired as a contractor and now works for another company. again, i feel
this reveals their feelings that software is not as important as the
hardware they are developing.<br><br>
the bag 'o screws..... i bet it was intended to be shipped to someone
else. it just points out another flaw in their system. they appear to be
full-throttle ahead of product development at the cost of total quality
control.<br><br>
i will be building a multi-throttle system using the USB connection, and
keep the serial port for my hagstrom card. their serial driver was not a
&quot;good citizen&quot; (like those which share the printer port), and
monopolized the serial port whether or not i was running
flightsim.<br><br>
take care,<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 09:34 AM 3/12/02 -0500, you wrote:<br>
Iam using the serial driver with FSUIPC in the throttle box and have
had<br>
no problem to date.<br><br>
&gt; They responded by mailing me a plastic bag with a bunch of screws
in<br>
&gt; it.<br><br>
That is a new one I have not see before - I have used there tech
support<br>
after I plugged the power into<br>
the wrong port and they mailed everything out fast.<br><br>
Sorry to hear about this.<br><br>
Ken Trager<br><br>