[simpits-tech] Did someone say mossie?

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 06:40:59 +1200

At 11:26 AM 6/13/02 -0700, you wrote:

> >Steve (lt1_z28) wrote:
> >
> >Three little words:
> >
> >Hawker Sea Fury
> >
> >Two more words:
> >
> >DeHavilland Mosquito
>
>When I visited Kiwiland two years back there was a simpit setup using
>a real mossie cockpit section and a large screen projection display
>running in the New Zealand Air Force Museum at Wigram outside
>Christchurch - here:

Its only a real-replica.  Built from actual blueprints, cool though :)

>http://www.afw.co.nz/chchmuseum.htm
>
>As I recall, it was lit using internal lighting and they ran the
>stick-and-throttle off the real-deal yoke and throttles, but the
>cockpit guages were inert.
>
>I still can't figure out what FS software they used (a pretty arcadish
>attack-the-Tirpitz-hiding-in-the-fjords scenario) , but when I
>managed to crash the sim to BSOD I determined it was running under
>Windows <g>.

The software cost them a fortune and is crap... custom written and as you
say real arcady!

>The Spit and A-4 sims they had downstairs were nothing special - the
>Mossie upstairs was way cool.

The A-4 and spit are running FS Toolkit? (that sim that you basically had a
shell and you design how everything works?)

The best part of the mossie is flying around in it then looking over your
shoulder to see some old dude watching you.. who says "of course I flew
them during the war".......  <= three hours later after the coolest war
stories EVER I finally left.

I get to Christchurch every few months for work, and always make time to
visit the museum.  (I learned to fly at Wigram, back when it was the Air
Forces primary training base, but I digress)

Sean.