[simpits-tech] Making Panels

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:48:33 -0500

Joseph Daigle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I interesting in knowing what would be the best material to use for
> making cockpit panels, display panals, etc. I've seen things like the
> CSI, and Nova Series panels, but I thought I would be cheaper to make
> my own. I anyone could give some advice on what to use and where to
> get it, that would be excellent.

If you just need a flat, rigid thing to hold instruments, I use MDF
surfaced with Bondo and sanded smooth. Cheap, easy to work with, and
works great.

If it has to be transparent, like for lighted indicators, 1/4" lexan or
plexiglas with transparencies works nicely. Print what you want, in the
size you want, on an inkjet or laser printer. Print it as a negative,
then find a photographer that will make a contact print on sheet film to
reverse it. Fill any pinholes with black marker and use that.

That's one way, anyway.
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/