[simpits-tech] Forming polycarb..

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:50:39 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> Well it's time to learn a new skill :)
>
> I have almost completed the front windscreen on the A-4 so next up is the
> main canopy.. complete with complex curves!
>
> Does anyone have ideas/suggestions for how I can achieve this?  The canopy
> is being framed with aluminium, so strength is not the real issue, just the
> shape.

Having talked to our materials guys, and perusing the materials database -
Acrylic sheet was recommended to me since this responds well to heat in
that once its shape is changed, it'll stay changed!

You need to uniformly heat the sheet until it becomes plyable enough to
take up the shape you need, then allowed to cool. The big problem is
providing the uniform heat.  I tried - and failed ;)

--

Roy.