[simpits-tech] Jetstream Update

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:37:36 -0500

Matt Bailey wrote:

> Heheh........my dad says there have been a number of "crashes" due to
> poor
> piloting. :) The tech guys apparently do NOT like having to reset
> everything,
> I guess it's quite a pain. I believe he said one guy actually did
> pull off a
> roll on approach without wreaking havoc, dunno if motion was on or
> not.

According to legend, the programmers goofed when writing the code for the
motion and didn't put software limits in.

> Say, what kind of ratings etc you got?

It's been years and I have no idea where the plots are, but I did just run
across my logbooks so there might be something in there. Nope, just what I
did. Didn't realize that it was 2.5 hrs, though. That's 3.8 of MEL now :)
Unfortunately it's only 45.4 hrs... wait, I have another logbook... 65.9
total. If it wasn't spread out over a decade and a half I'd have my private
by now. Maybe after grad school I'll have time and money to finish.

Back to sims, I don't remember the specifics, but I do know that I drew a
crowd on a particularly nasty landing. #2 died a flaming, ugly death, then
the hydraulics on that side failed. Dad stopped me as I was going for the
pump and said it wasn't going to work, so I put her down on the numbers,
went to full left aileron, and held the wing off as long as possible. He
said I did better than most of his students with 20 times the total time I
have.

Yes, my Dad is a bit evil. This was apparent on my 16th birthday when I
soloed. Everyone that's soloed knows that you're too busy to think about
anything until the downwind leg. That's when I realized how much quieter a
C172N is with him on the ramp ;) Put that one down on the numbers, too, then
proceeded to get nearly run over by a 727 the next day while doing my runup
(naturally I then practiced my short field proceedures and got the HELL out
of there).

Don't get me started on flying stories. Even with only 65 hours I have quite
a few good ones :)
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net