[simpits-tech] Joystick USB adapter?

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:34:08 -0500

Roy Coates wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, LT1_Z28 wrote:
>
> > USB joysticks and hack 'em up. Might be cheaper that way. Hmm... those
> > Playstation clone gamepads have lots of buttons. That could work.
> >
> > Damn I'm a cheap bastard ;)
>
> Nah... it more FUN hacking things!  :)

And cheaper, too. I found Belkin adapters for under $5 each. After a bit
of digging I've learned that I can't do it how I want, but I can get
close. Just means I'll have half as many adapters hacked up. The first
one will be pitch, roll, yaw, throttle, pitch trim, and flaps. The
second will be prop pitch, mixture/fuel, gear, toe brakes, AP
disconnect, reverse thrust, and the parking brake. If I add the other 2
adapters I'll move the gear so there's an up and down on different
switches (handle won't get out of synch with the sim that way),
speedbrakes, and AP heading, airspeed, vert. speed, and altitude hold.
So, basically, I'll wind up with 90% of the controls off the keyboard
for a total of $20 plus the cost of buttons, switches, and raw materials
:)

Then I'll have to figure out how to handle the LED arrays and knobs for
the radios, separate monitors for the glass panel, and a better way to
deal with the throttles, prop pitch, and mix/fuel.

> Heh.. those things sure as hell wake your internal organs up ;)
>
> Like it says on the box.. VBH - Virtual Bodily Harm

My back hasn't felt this good in years ;) Too much sounds comes out the
back of the thing, but a little Dynamat should fix that up. I'll deal
with that when I enclose the thing. For now it's going to get duct taped
to my chair.
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/