[simpits-tech] A-4 website updated again

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 04:24:48 -0500

Sean Galbraith wrote:

> Jeez Steve!  I hadn't even thought of glass!  I know a fiberglass guru who
> wants me to build him a sailplane pit too ;-)  Gotta love the
> favour-exchange doncha!

Sailplane pits are easy. Except for radios there are 4, maybe 5 controls
in there. Get him to pull a mold off the front end of a fuselage and
it's half done ;)

Back to your canopy, I thought about it a little more (I have to do the
same thing for my homebuilt) and it seems to me the way to do it would
be to tape off the sill, lay a couple of layers of glass on it, spray on
some foam, shape it, lay on more glass making sure to completely enclose
the foam. Build up a flange to attach the bubble and
rivet/screw/bond/duct tape it on there. Might also be good to bond in a
chunk of steel box tubing at the back to attach the hinges.

Glass is great stuff. The less flat the part is, the easier it is to
make and the stronger it turns out.
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/