[simpits-tech] espianageBay?

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 02:30:54 -0700

Brian

Many of us saw the parts for sale on ebay and did not bid on them.  None of
the mentioned parts were of interest to a sim builder they would have
interest to a foreign nation wishing to obtain some of the more difficult to
find parts.

What is important to us is that this means that the sale of aircraft parts
may be more closely watched. Some of us are interested in some rather
obscure cockpit parts. . A good example of this is any parts used on or in
the F-15 all of which are on this destroy list.

      NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. Air Force investigators are trying to
determine how a shipment of sensitive aircraft communications parts wound up
on an Internet auction site last week, Newsweek reported Sunday.

      An antiques dealer put the parts, which are used in the SR-71
spyplane, the F-16 fighter, KC-10 aerial tankers and C-5 Galaxy giant cargo
jets, up for sale on the eBay auction site after buying them for $244 in an
unclaimed-property sale from a shipping company, the magazine said.

      The dealer, Norb Novocin, said he discovered after buying the
crate-load of parts in Florida that 11 of the 18 items were coded "D," which
demands total destruction and does not permit public ownership in a
condition other than scrap metal.

      The parts had lain in a storage warehouse for 12 years after getting
lost while being shipped from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to a supply
depot in Georgia. Novocin informed the depot, who said they did not want the
parts and suggested he sell them on eBay.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel