[simpits-tech] ACES II Replica, G- cueing Seat.

Chris Woodul simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 11:30:24 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C225A9.AF4F5D70

Hi Brian

The company I work for produces my design for High Fideltiy Replica =
Ejection Seats ( among other things)
Some of these seats are static, and some are designed to be G-Cueing =
systems. I dont build the G-Cueing hardware, nor do we do the =
algorythims. We just make all the mechanical parts. We are Cranfield =
Aerospace's manufacturer of seat systems. Cranfield is in the UK and are =
the undisputed king of G-cueing seats. Cranfield's seats utilize =
electric motors and loadcells and LDVT's all tied in with a computer and =
some serious programing to create the essence of G on multiple axis's.
Older G-cueing systems from the US utilized Pneumatic bladders and fast =
acting valves, but fell into the trap of compresiblity,and latency. Some =
seats even used 1800psi hydraulic actuators ( yikes) to do the job.=20
I am working with a company in California which has a very unique =
Pneumatic valve which may change the problem of the speed of pneumatics =
in actuating pressure pads in seats.
Seats move very little to impart the sensation of movement. As noted in =
a later message thread by Marc W. there are some systems ( Sogitec) =
which impart a load on the pilots helmet to simulate the increased =
"weight" of your Bone Dome as you pull G's ( particulary noticable in a =
9G capable jet like the Viper)
Other functions tighten or loosen straps on the pilot and the most =
significant axis of movement is G - Z ( vertical axis..ie. thru your =
head to your toes)
When you pull G's your body scrunches down due to the loading so your =
eyepoint lowers, also the "hardness" of the seat pan changes.
When you deploy airbrakes ( or wheel brakes) you surge forward, when you =
accelerate you surge backward...yawing motions produce side to side =
sway.Even the Buffet of a stall or the intense vibration of an M-61 =
Vulcan cannon firing shakes the pilot...all of these are important =
clues.
In addition to this the pilot is connceted to a G-Valve with his G-Suit. =
The pilot has a scaled down G-response so the suit wont blow his blood =
vessles as he is really sitting in an "office environment" in a constant =
1 G. The pilot does feel a variable scheduled squeezing on him which =
also is a nice clue to how much G he is putting on the jet.
I have flown  in about five military jet warbird aircraft, and fly =
aerobatics myself as well. I wish everyone could understand just how =
distracting even a constant 5 G's can feel. Nine G's would put most of =
us to sleep! People tend to put on alot more G in a sim when they dont =
have any cues as to how much they are really pulling ( besides a G meter =
indication)
I would love to see how your system comes out. One thing you need to do =
is find a way to evacuate the bladders quickly after filling them for =
each cue response, and remember that you only need to move the pilot =
fractions of an inch to get the job done.
Thanks,

Chris Woodul

I will try to send Gene pictures of our High Fidelity F/A-18 NACES and =
F-16 ACES II seats just so you can see what they look like. Id love to =
hear feedback on them from this crowd!

  ----- Original Message -----=20