[simpits-tech] Canopy Material

Tom Colello simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:30:40 -0500

Those of you who are interested in a new material for home built canopy's I
may have just the thing. The material is called Spectar. It is a
copolyester material. It is very similiar to acryllic and polycarbonate. It
comes in sheet form 48x96 inches and various thicknesses. This stuff is
tremendous. You can cold form it without crazing or cracking, blow mold
shapes if you have an oven, cut it ,rout it without any of the undesirable
properties of either polycarbonate or acrylic. We even drove a 16 penny
nail into it and it didn't crack or chip. It mearly swallowed up the nail.
We took a 3" deck screw and without predrilling screwed it into the
material and no chips or cracks. It's perfectly clear can be solvent
cemented or hot air welded using the same material as weld rod. I took a
piece of 1/8" thick and cold bent it in half and it didn't break or form a
craze line in the bend. It can be cut with any fine tooth blade such as a
plywood blade. This stuff is amazing. We even took a piece of it and hand
twisted it into a spiral.
This stuff can't be bought at your local hardware store so if you don't
have a commercial plastics supplier near you get in touch with me at
4b@intersurf.com and if you want to purchase some I can get it for you as I
work for 4B Plastics here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Tom