[simpits-tech] RC Timer delay

Ross Hutton simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:08:38 +1100 (EST)

 --- Stig Joergensen <stig.joergensen@clearsky.dk>
wrote: > Ross... please explain why....

> As I see it, the resistance over the capisitator is
> pratical zero
> (remeber we are talking of DC not high frequency,
> where things start to
> shift :-) compared to the R1 value, And by applying
> the normal u=r*i
> rule; out should be aprox the strobe as long as it
> is held high....

Let's assume that before the strobe goes high the
voltage across the capacitor (Vc) is 0.

The moment the strobe goes high, Vc will still be 0.
Vout = Vstrobe - Vc = Vstrobe.

However, the capacitor immediately starts charging up
and after 5 time constants the voltage across the
capacitor will be within 1% of Vstrobe.
Vout = Vstrobe - Vc = 0

Vout will look something like this.

  *
  **
  * *
  *   *
  *      *

If your strobe is much shorter than a time constant
(and maybe in your case it is) then you won't see this
effect.

=====
--
Ross

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.