[simpits-tech] Knobs - Update

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:18:19 -0500

Okay - I expect the second prototype to roll of "the line" in the next 5
to 7 days.  Please don't ask what happened to the first.  Unfortunately,
this is a complex process with a burn as you learn.

The biggest problem is developing a process that is robust for
production.  Right now I am struggling with producing the first mold for
one knob.  I have 49 more molds to make before I can produce a "set" of
knobs!  I need a repeatable process that yields high quality with a low
defect rate.

I also have to place a brass insert into the knob and drill and tap in
two places.  I think I have a mechanism to do that in a repeatable
fashion.

Finally, there is the painting.  Yes, I told you a while back that they
would not be painted - I lied.  They will be fully painted in three
colors (white, black, and gray).  Again, I think I have a production
method worked out for that process, but it is untested.

I expect a modest bit of process tweaking to get everything right, but
once I am done you can expect the quality of this product to meet
Korry's standards.  You will be pleased.

House update:

Last week we finally got a buyer.  Closing is scheduled for next
Thursday.  Moving day is 30 days later, or March 30th.  I am accepting
volunteers to help move stuff (no heavy stuff to move since all
appliances stay), including the cockpit.   And yes, there is beer at the
end of the rainbow!  ;-)

Marv