[simpits-tech] Misc

Darren Beaumont simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:56:26 -0000

Gene,

Doesn't matter which part of the F4, cockpit, fuselage, tail section etc, as
far as the MOD is concerned, it either has to be returned to the US or, if
they don't want it, it gets scrapped.

Darren

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Gene Buckle
Sent: 07 February 2002 17:00
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Misc

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 darren.beaumont@btinternet.com wrote:

> Steve/Gene,
>
> You think that is bad, a preservation society is being chased by the
> MOD (Ministry of Defence) over here, because they purchased a F4
> cockpit.
>
> As far as the MOD are concerned ALL F4s must be scrapped, regardless.
> A couple of museums have managed to save some, but even they may be
> under threat.

Just the cockpit section or the whole airframe?

> The end result, is the very few F4s that do remain intact, are hidden
> away on military airfields, awaiting the scrapman.
>
> Anyway I'll get of my soapbox now....

Soapbox all you like Darren!  We're just trying to preserve and enjoy old
(and sometimes new) airplanes, even if we're only into the "important" 10
feet worth. :)  It's not _our_ fault that gov. b-crats(can't think of the
right spelling right now) can't think beyond their damn noses.  They'd
just better be prepared to sit there and shut up when we go behind their
backs to enjoy our toys. :)