AW: AW: AW: [simpits-tech] So you wanna build a HUD, eh?

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:25:22 -0800 (PST)

> > > Woah - you're the guy with the F-15 in the garage %P
> > >
> > *laughs*  Yeah, that's me.  I need to get that printed up on a T-Shirt or
> > something. :)
>
> A good idea :))) How many times did you hear this phrase since you got the
> cockpit??

Quite a bit.  I imagine that the other guys get it more than I do since
theirs are so much larger.  I must admit that the look on most peoples'
faces when see that I've got a real F-15C is pretty priceless.  A friend
of Rob's ranted & raved about how cool it was to the point where I wanted
to brain him with a 2x4 just to get him to be quiet. :)

 > > Now I'm by no means the only one with "Real Steel" sitting
at > > their house.
> > Steve Smith has got a 747 flight deck (that sucker dwarfs my poor little
> > F-15). Justin has a huge piece of DC-8, Ezra, Dave, Matt, & James have
> > 737-200 cockpits (being uprated to glass avionics).  There's a business
> > jet (Emb. Bandit?  Darren!  Refresh my fading memory! :)) that a Darren in
> > the UK owns.
>
> Holy cow... these guys must have big houses :)) Although my interest is
> mainly in military aircraft, I see a very positive aspect about commercial
> a/c: they have a social component, as you don't fly alone... Well, this
> could also be solved with a two seat fighter a/c ;)

Heheheh Yep.  I keep waiting for someone to build a KC-135 refueling
deck. :)

> Gene - which software will you use later? Microsoft FS??? I love the fact
> that it allows you to use a HUD and MFDs (that e.g. Falcon 4 does not, as
> much as I amk informed - but PLEASE group, correct me;), however flying
> around in a fighter a/c without having a mission should get quite boring one
> day. Is there a way to have for example dogfights and air-to-ground- or
> refuelling-missions in MSFS??? I'm just asking, as I didn't hear much about
> using this software for a fighter a/c sim yet.

I'm going to be using everything from Fly8 to MSFS2k2.  The problem with
doing a HUD with the fighter sims is getting the radar & target modes that
the HUD will do aligned with the outside scree view.

> You are a damn lucky man :))

Naw, just sneakier than the average bear. :)

g.