[simpits-tech] AIM 9 upload

Rod Dale simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:30:03 -0800

>You know Rod, I've NEVER seen an AIM9 seeker head that looked like
>that.  Is the subject a very early variant?
Not sure of the vintage. We used them on Mirages (1960's to 80's) and I'm
sure I've seen them fitted to Sabres :-) The seeker head is a glass dome
with some sort of device inside that spins around - very similar to the
spinning device in those barcode readers that mount on the counter top in
some stores. Our "gunnies" used to wave a torch in front of the seeker
during preflight checks so the pilot could check the tone.
You can see "1/75" stencilled on the head, I thought it was manufacture
date but could also be last service date.
Cheers,
Rod