[simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight

Bob Phillips simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:25:17 -0600

> LOL  Try 55.  Hell, I can remember when the Air Force still flew props.

I am 56 and was in Vietnam in 68/69 - spent a few months at Pleiku.  We had
A1, O1, O2, and C47's, the only jet was the rescue helicopter and the JAL
727 that delivered the Stars & Stripes every morning.  When I first arrived
there, I was assigned to perimeter defense, and in the valley we had an
AC-47 that charlie had shot down.  All in all, felt very WWIIish.  In
Saigon, I was in a Huey that crashed on the south end of H-3 (the big
heliport on the base).  The bozo ac managed to catch the right skid on a
telephone line and after pulling about two miles of it loose, drag and
gravity pulled us out of the air.  No one hurt, but sure screwed up the
bird.   Was able to scam about 5 hours as a door gunner in Hueys, but can
not count them as I was not allowed to fly while I was there.  We did have
one guy in my unit that went out with the ground pounders and ended up with
a bronze star for his time (the army wanted to give him a silver star, and
the air force wanted to bust his butt) as a compromise deal.  Was in CAP and
flew in C-119, C-123, C-124, and T-29's.  Have flown in all kinds of
aircraft in Air Force and while I was a controller in the FAA.  Was able to
get a ride in an F-16 back in 1980 and it was the most fun I have ever had
with my pants on.

Bob