[simpits-tech] My first lathe attempt

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:28:49 -0600

Craig Rochester wrote:

> The cup seal grove needs to be very smooth (15 microinches).  Anybody
> willing to advise me on how to proceed?  Could I use a thin wood chisle and
> grind it to the proper width, and then dial it staight in?

Duh. Would help to finish typing before hitting send...

For the grooves I would grind a form tool. Basically just the wood
chisel idea, but ground from a blank with a grinding wheel. Pick up a
few blank bits at the local machine tool shop so you can shape things
however you need. The boring bar I use most often was made from a 1/4"
blank in about 10 minutes and does a perfect job on holes from about
3/8" up, for example. Grinding tools is something you should learn as
soon as practical. Makes life much easier.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net