[simpits-tech] PSU loading

Mark Doran simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:58:40 -0800

Switching power supplies usually need a load on all output circuits to
function.  A suggestion based on what I did to get an old AT supply
usable as a 12V power source for EPIC kit testing...

I took a pair of generic RS fuse holders and mounted them inside the
power supply casing.  I jammed the non-conducting body of a power
resistor for the 5 volt circuit into the fuse holders (the power
resistors tend to be quite chunky :-).  The mounting of the fuse holders
used solder terminal spades -- these I bent into the "grill" air inlet
of the power supply to effect the mounting so that as air is drawn in by
the fan, it cools the resistor also.  This arrangement seems to work
quite well...this supply has been on continuously for months with no
sign of trouble.

Cheers,

Mark.

Apparenly