[simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:06:20 -0500

--B_3123839180_700991

Nicely done!

I will make a suggestion if you are interested.  I dug up my cockpit wiring
diagram and had a quick look.

What I did was split the input module into two buses (left and right
consoles).  The right console bus also serves the center console with MFDs.

Each bus is a ribbon wire that is 26 pins wide.  I use crimp on IDE ribbon
wire connectors (like the kind you see on hard drives ribbon wire) that I
have attached on the bus ribbon wire like rail road track ties down the
length of the ribbon wire.  There is a connector for each panel on the bus
wire.

As I add a new panel all I do is plug it into the bus wire as it runs by.
Each panel has a short piece of 26 pin ribbon wire with a female 26 pin IDE
connector on it.

You can get these connectors and the wire at Digi-Key.

This saves a mountain of wire!  You don=B9t need to point to point wire each
panel to the EPIC expansion board, just add it to the run of bus wire in th=
console.  It is also easy to remove a panel.  Furthermore, since they plug
into a bus, the panels are not position dependent.  That is, you can plug
any panel into any slot on the bus and it will work with no software change=
.

I also have an Excel sheet lying around somewhere with the various switches
and how they interface to the bus.  It is a big matrix, but I don=B9t think i=
has been completed since I got deviated with the F-16 side stick project.
;-/

If you want my schematic for the bus wire and the Excel sheet (if I can fin=
it) I=B9ll send you a copy.  Just drop me a line.

This will save you a lot of wiring time, even if you don=B9t use the same
matrix that I do.

Marv

On 12/27/02 10:58 AM, "Frank Riedel" <frank@rezultat.dk> wrote:

> Take a look a todays work ;-)
> =20
> www.rezultat.dk/f16/Full-wireing.htm
> <http://www.rezultat.dk/f16/Full-wireing.htm>
> =20
> Be aware that the 2 pic is about 4MB all in all !
> =20
> All the best
> Frank

--B_3123839180_700991

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Nicely done!<BR>
<BR>
I will make a suggestion if you are interested. &nbsp;I dug up my cockpit w=
iring diagram and had a quick look.<BR>
<BR>
What I did was split the input module into two buses (left and right consol=
es). &nbsp;The right console bus also serves the center console with MFDs.<B=

<BR>
Each bus is a ribbon wire that is 26 pins wide. &nbsp;I use crimp on IDE ri=
bbon wire connectors (like the kind you see on hard drives ribbon wire) that=
 I have attached on the bus ribbon wire like rail road track ties down the l=
ength of the ribbon wire. &nbsp;There is a connector for each panel on the b=
us wire.<BR>
<BR>
As I add a new panel all I do is plug it into the bus wire as it runs by. &=
nbsp;Each panel has a short piece of 26 pin ribbon wire with a female 26 pin=
 IDE connector on it.<BR>
<BR>
You can get these connectors and the wire at Digi-Key.<BR>
<BR>
This saves a mountain of wire! &nbsp;You don&#8217;t need to point to point=
 wire each panel to the EPIC expansion board, just add it to the run of bus =
wire in the console. &nbsp;It is also easy to remove a panel. &nbsp;Furtherm=
ore, since they plug into a bus, the panels are not position dependent. &nbs=
p;That is, you can plug any panel into any slot on the bus and it will work =
with no software change.<BR>
<BR>
I also have an Excel sheet lying around somewhere with the various switches=
 and how they interface to the bus. &nbsp;It is a big matrix, but I don&#821=
7;t think it has been completed since I got deviated with the F-16 side stic=
k project. &nbsp;;-/<BR>
<BR>
If you want my schematic for the bus wire and the Excel sheet (if I can fin=
d it) I&#8217;ll send you a copy. &nbsp;Just drop me a line.<BR>
<BR>
This will save you a lot of wiring time, even if you don&#8217;t use the sa=
me matrix that I do.<BR>
<BR>
Marv<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12/27/02 10:58 AM, &quot;Frank Riedel&quot; &lt;frank@rezultat.dk&gt; wr=
ote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Take a look a todays w=
ork ;-)<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">www.rezultat.dk/f16/Full-wireing.h=
tm &lt;http://www.rezultat.dk/f16/Full-wireing.htm&gt; <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Be aware that the 2 pic is about 4=
MB all in all !<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">All the best<BR>
Frank<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">----- Original Message -----=
 <BR>
<B>From:</B> Chris Crowley &lt;mailto:ccrowley@mccrowley.com&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> simpits-tech@simpits.org <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Friday, December 27, 2002 2:04 AM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> RE: [simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Why not try =
it. There are a number of us who have not started working the electronics ye=
t. It would be a big help to give one ideas when they reach that point. <BR>
</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Chris Crowley<BR>
21st Century Infidel<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3123839180_700991--