[simpits-tech] MarvMan and Craigo Fixed Stick Update

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:57:08 -0500

Hey Steve,

I feel a bit awkward, albeit flattered, to be associated with Marv's work.
:)  My tinkering and jury rigging isn't in the same class as Marv's work.

I have been busy with work and the holidays so haven't had much time to
spend on the stick-base project.  While working with the LVDT test rig:
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/lvdtstick4.jpg

I had the idea to use an off-center bearing(cam) to convert the stick's
displacement to a potentiometer rotation. The cam bearing is bolted where
the LVDT would be. The cam bearing is a lot cheaper and rotates a standard
pot . It's not as  precise as the LVDT/amp system(<0.0001" resolution), but
it still felt good.  I flew Falcon4 around a bit. I had very similar results
as with the LVDT: good centering, no apparent hysteresis, and very precise
response. And this was with my crude jury rigging. The mechanism had no
discernable play as everything is always in tension so even play in the
shaft has no affect.

http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/cambearing02.jpg
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/cambearing04.jpg
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/cambearing05.jpg

It worked pretty well considering the crappy construction. But, the results
were very encouraging.   My next step is to bolt a mounting bracket to a
steel chair .  I need better stability for the base.  I also need an arm
rest like the F-16.  I'll then mount transducers for both axes and do some
real flying.

A couple of days ago, I bought a used Taig lathe and hope to expand my
jury-rigging possibilities (my Christmas present).

Happy Holidays Y'all,

Craig R.