[simpits-tech] site update

Chris Brace simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:12:45 +1300 (NZDT)

Sticking the artwork is actually really very tricky and long process.
For the first panel I used clear overhead film that I printed the artwork onto
and then painted the back white so that it would back light. I then used a 3M
spray on glue called "Super77". It reacted with the white enamel paint and
blistered it all off. I changed to paper for this one, and 3M photomount. The
glue is permanent, once its stuck there is no going back. Its all worked out
fine so far. Last thing to do will be to cover the display windows and spray
the whole thing with matt varnish to protect it.

The process to get panels like this is very long. Here a rundown of what I
went thru for anyone else that wants to use this method.

Firstly there are a bunch of holes that need to be drilled before you apply
the artwork to the panel. These are for the LED displays to be mounted on
posts, and things like LED holes to light up specific words etc. The LED
Displays are monuted with 9mm posts which are attached with countersunk
machine screws from the panel front. I didnt want these to show so they have
to go thru before the artwork is laid down.
 So, I first stick a drilling diagram onto the perspex sheet and drill thru
it, then peel this off, put the screws and post in place. Then slowly and very
carefully align the final artwork. Once perfect alignment is acheived I tape
down one edge of the artwork to hold it, and fold it back revealing the back
of the paper. Then I mask everything except the artwork paper (now only the
back of the paper is visible) and spray the glue onto it. Wait 2 minutes and
spray another coat of glue on the artwork, wait another 3 minutes and then
carefully fold the artwork back onto the perspex.
When the glue is firm and dry I can start drilling the final holes for all the
encoders and switches. Because its paper even the sharpest drills will burr
the paper so after all the drilling is done I de-burr the holes with a
surgical scalpel.
Finally I cut the perspex panel to final shape with a power jigsaw, sand down
the edges to final shape and mount all the components.

This panel took me about 5 hours work to get to this stage. Now that ive done
it the rest should be alot simpler.
As I do the next lot, I'll take some pics of each part to show how i did it in
greater details. The results are really excellent.