[simpits-tech] Re: motion platform, and outside view.

Ian Grant simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:22:33 -0500

I just read a book about material strength - "Building Large Dobsonian
Telescopes" (I think...). Unfortunately I took it back to the library!
I'll see if it's there, and copy the formula. The author provided a very
straightforward way of figuring it all out. It went something like this:

Double the size, cube the weight, but the stiffness depended upon the
wall of the tube. Double the wall (e.g. 2mm instead of 1mm), and you
quadruple (I think) the stiffness. They also said aluminium/aluminum was
as good as steel in most applications. (If memory serves, I saw the same
thing in a book on chassis design). It was also considerably lighter. I
understand that it is difficult to weld, however (I don't know how to
weld).

The triangulation is similar to building trusses and some skyscraper
beams. I was once involved in a project that dealt with the construction
of a (very) large skyscraper, and one of the engineers told me that you
need less material than you would think, but it has to be laid out
properly. McGraw-Hill probably publishes something on this.

Good luck!
/Ian

PS From experience of perching monitors in precarious positions, I can
tell you that the point of balance shifts the moment you look away from
that particular monitor... (I can still see the monitor pitching slowly
forward!)