[simpits-tech] RE: Bending Wood

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 02:48:43 +0100 (BST)

> > Roy, what exactly did you use for the skin and how did you bend it?  I
> > was trying to construct my aces II seat and ended up destroying the
> MDF
> > trying to get different things to bend in the shape of the seat.  I am
> > now having to start over and am going to make darn sure that I have it
> > right this time before starting construction.

I used regular hardboard which is about 4mm thick. and bent it using
patience ;)  Provided you don't let stress build up in one place it
shouldn't 'tear' on you.

Plywood doesn't seem to respond well to the wetting method but hardboard
does. Warm water seems to work best, don;t go mad or it'll fall to bits on
you though.

Careful thought and doing your best to avoid compound curves helps, it can
be quicker to piece two or more 'panels' to get a compound curve rather
than trying to make the whole thing out of one sheet.

Roy.