[simpits-tech] RE: Simpits-tech digest, Vol 1 #391 - 7 msgs

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:47:20 -0700

Jay

For bending MDF use the thinnest board that is available in your area.
Wetting the board does work you may notice that if it is too wet the board
begins to delaminate. MDF is a composite board made much like cardboard but
much denser. Using a spray bottle to wet the board down may be the solution
or just dipping it into a pan of water for a brief period may be your
solution. The solution which I used was that of slowly bending the board and
tacking it frequently as I slowly bent the board into place. Another
solution I have found that works to varying degrees is cutting into the back
side of the MDF prior to bending. Cut just enough material away to give the
board greater flex. The thing about MDF or hardboard is that it is fairly
inexpensive to purchase and the possibilities for it's use are quite
diverse. Heavy MDF when wet develops blisters which are hard to remove so be
very careful when working with thicker MDF.

BTW there are differences between MDF and hardboard, we tend to use the
terms interchangeably around here.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel