[simpits-tech] Re: Bending Aluminium (Andrew Stephenson)

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 02:49:50 -0500

Andrew Stephenson wrote:

> I would recomend you go to sites that teach you how to
> make metal armor they cover some very interesting
> methods of bending the metals into varios shapes
> usingsimple tools that you'll most likely have already
> or if you don't, won't have to worry about shelling
> out hundreds of dollars to get them...

I didn't catch much of this thread thanks to my ISP trashing most of my
mail, but about the only realistic way to bend a sharp 90 degree angle
on a chunk of metal thicker than a Coke can is to cut it and weld it.
Done right, grind the edges and use a MIG or TIG, the thing can look
very close to extruded angle. That said, if I understand right the part
needing bending is a channel. I'd cut wedges from the sides of the
channel to form the bend then solder the cuts and grind down the joints.
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/