[simpits-tech] Bending Aluminium

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:55:47 -0400

The sharpest bend you can theoretically make in aluminum will result in a
radius on the outside edge that is equal to the thickness of the aluminum.

However, there are different grades of aluminum and if you happen to have a
"hardened" sheet, bending is not going to work.  You will see fracture lines
appear on the outside edge of the bend.

Notching the aluminum will decrease the outside radius and increase the
chance of fracture in any aluminum.  It will degrade the joint.

If you are using a finger type of sheet metal brake, adjust the fingers so
they are at least the thickness of the material away from the swinging edge
of the brake.  There must be enough room for the metal or it gets pinched
and will fracture.

I don't think heating will help.

To get a better answer to your question, go to:

www.homeshopmachinist.net

Post your question there after signing up.  There are some very bright
people there that can guide you.