[simpits-tech] Gameport to USB conversion - what's going wrong??

Lee, David simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:48:49 -0400

For sometime now I've been using my Suncomm split throttle to control the left and right throttles on twin engine models in MS FS2K2. I had it plugged into a Gameport to USB converter that I had purchased through RadioShack. It worked pretty well even though I vaguel recall some problems with setup initially. Well, last night I finished the throttle quadrant I've been working on for months. The hardware is from an old Baron and I attached the throttle handles to slide pots (the remaining pots are backordered!). I plugged the throttle quadrant into the converter and booted FS2K2. In the options/controllers/assignments, the program seemed to see the new controls. I assigned them using the usual technique, went to FSUIPC but found the controls did not change the inputs no matter what I did. Bottomline - the throttle in the sim didn't move. I then tried to callibrate the new control, which didn't go well because for some reason the converter would see certain movements of the controls as a buttonpress, and so it just blew through the callibration process. Annoying! To add insult to injury (emotional injury anyway), I can't get my old Suncomm to work anymore either. FS seems to see it, it's callibrated, but FSUIPC doesn't see it, so nothing happens. What am I missing here? Thanks!
David