[simpits-tech] Switchs, Rotary and pot

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 05 Aug 2002 18:31:32 -0400

That is an open question.

The answer is, it depends.

However, you have not qualified the exact application, so it is hard to give
you a good answer.

However, since I am constructing a F-16 cockpit, I can tell you what I plan
to use.  I will use a potentiometer for almost all of my applications where
there is a knob.  Except....

... the caveat is there are many knobs that use a rotary switch and I will
use a rotary switch where it is required.  I think you know what a rotary
switch is, but if not, it is a mechanical switch that rotates to preset
positions.

There are not too many places where an encoder will be applicable in my sim.
I may possibly use them for the ICP panel that sticks in the pilots face.
There are 4 thumb wheels that control contrast, brightness, and other
functions on the HUD.  An encoder may be physically easier to mount than a
pot in those instances.

Encoders require more expensive circuitry to operate than a pot.  General
rule of thumb is that there should be a good reason for using an encoder
where normally a pot will not do.

I would recommend a pot.

That being said, from the scope of the questions you are asking, I wonder
where you are at in your project and what your project goals are?  I ask
because I get a sense that you might be putting the cart before the horse.

What is your goal and what is your plan to get there?

I am sure that you can get all the help you need right here, but it is good
to get the basics first, outline your goals, and then we can help you
execute your plan (or at least help you get a plan together).

Marv