[simpits-tech] Switchs, Rotary and pot

fitchett simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:41:25 -0600 (MDT)

No, rotary encoders are more akin to a switch, rotation produces a series
of electrical pulses.  Typically rotary encoders have a finite number of
pulses per revolution that can be resolved; they can also rotate in either
direction indefinitely.  Some encoders will only return a relative change
in position, clockwise or counterclockwise.  (incremental)  Absolute
encoders will return the position of the shaft.

Potentiometers can only be rotated in either direction a fixed amount;
typically ranging from 1/2 a turn to a dozen or more.

Pots are cheaper if you need more precision, and can accept the limitation
on travel.  Encoders are better for aircraft radios and detecting how
far/fast a motor is turning.

Chester