[simpits-tech] Switchs, Rotary and pot

Andreas Fransson simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:09:31 +0200

Frank,

3-way switches are (usually) on-off-on. With or without automatic return to
center position (not sure what the english expression for this would be).

Rotaries, if you mean rotary switches and not rotary encoders, may or may
not have limits. A couple I have here for example do not. They go all the
way around. What they do is just rotate a common ground around a number of
connections. Like a "normal" switch but with many more positions. Mine have
12 I think. You could say that they are "all-on" in the sense that one lead
is always active. Encoders are a different breed altogether. They are
commonly used to sense motion (rotation) rather than indicate switch
positions.

"Pots", or potentiometers, are basically variable resistors. I you use one
with EPIC, or as a replacement for a joystick pot, it is 100 ohm linear pots
you want.

If you use the EPIC, the kind of switches you use are almost unimportant.
EPL (the EPIC programming language) is very flexible. It's not at all like
the standard joystick momentary on/off pushbuttons.

What aircraft (or whatever) panels are you looking for?

Andreas
http://valhallainc.d2g.com

From: "Frank Riedel" <frank@rezultat.dk>