AW: AW: AW: [simpits-tech] "Unbelievable" but TRUE :P

Marc Weigert simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 00:19:47 +0200

> I didn't say it wasn't dangerous.  I think it's stupid to punish someone
> for this kind of thing.  The seller probably had no clue that the stuff
> was hot from radium paint.  It's like throwing an antique dealer in jail
> for selling a watch that used the same stuff for the dial.  It's stupid.
> The NBC guys should have disposed of the stuff properly and then closed
> the case.  At most they should have contacted the sell with the _only_
> purpose of finding out if he had any more of the stuff.  If so, they
> should pay him fair market value for it before having it carefully
> destroyed or decontaminated.  I fervently hope that the seller hires a
> lawyer capable of twisting those NBC guys inside out.

Gene - that's true! How should any normal human being know it. Sure - they
should investigate, if he got really dangerous stuff in his stock, and then
take it away.

> Keep in mind that Radium was used as a glow-in-the-dark paint from its
> discovery (sometime in the very late 1800's I think) until (I think) the
> 1960's.  It was _heavily_ used in aircraft instrument faces as well as
> some clocks and many watches.

Yep! Maybe I got a bit too hysteric, as my girlfriend canceld her visit for
this weekend and first want me to check my items :PPPPPP

That was my biggest mistake: never tell the misses s.th. like this - they
will find a reaso to really hat the hobby :PP