[simpits-tech] "Unbelievable" but TRUE :P

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:06:59 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Marc Weigert wrote:

> today I got to hear a story from another simpit builder I know, who got a
> MiG-21 simlator in his basement. He recently aquired a MiG-21 panel (switch
> box) on eBay Germany for about 20 EURO (~20 USD). He has the habit to check
> all incoming parts with his Geiger Counter... so when the box arrived, he
> opened it, did his routine check and got a shock!!! This panel was
> significantly radioactive! He went to his local police department to report
> the coincidence, and whilst one office was writing the protocol, they did
> already send two police cars to his house. There, they informed the
> NBC-squad that arrived there with their protective clothes - must have
> looked like in the movie "Outbreak". Well... these guys validated what his
> little Geiger Counter did show: this panel was radioactive contaminated.
> They took the item with them, to put it in save storage, he got a bill of
> about 600 EURO (=USD) for the storage service, they launched investigations
> on the eBay seller and also against eBay Germany. Boah!!! :P

I've been offered a few 'oldie' parts, but just about anything pre 1965
used radium to provide some luminesence on the dials. With age, this stuff
turns to dust - open the case - cough cough cough...

--

Roy.