[simpits-tech] Another option for analog gauges

Wiebe, Alex simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:07:05 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E0BA.85CA4890

Here's a nifty PC-mod for those who like to mix a bit of retro mechanical
displays with their overclocked, super cooled PCs...

http://www.xoxide.com/pctachometer1.html

Now how is this relevant to our hobby? Well, it got me thinking about how
easy it might be use automotive tachometers as anolog guages?

Here's another link where someone converted a tach to an anemometer (and the
page has a link to an actual airspeed indicator for his car):

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/klwalker/personal/anemometer.html

Gives some clues are to how the tach works. It should be pretty straight
forward to generate the correct pulse from a serial or parallel port or EPIC
output. Or even slicker would be a PIC / STAMP chip to drive these.

Any thoughts?

Alex

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E0BA.85CA4890

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Another option for analog gauges</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Here's a nifty PC-mod for those who like to mix a bit =
of retro mechanical displays with their overclocked, super cooled =
PCs...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://www.xoxide.com/pctachometer1.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.xoxide.com/pctachometer1.html</A></FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Now how is this relevant to our hobby? Well, it got =
me thinking about how easy it might be use automotive tachometers as =
anolog guages?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Here's another link where someone converted a tach to =
an anemometer (and the page has a link to an actual airspeed indicator =
for his car):</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.telusplanet.net/public/klwalker/personal/anemometer.h=
tml" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.telusplanet.net/public/klwalker/personal/an=
emometer.html</A></FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Gives some clues are to how the tach works. It should =
be pretty straight forward to generate the correct pulse from a serial =
or parallel port or EPIC output. Or even slicker would be a PIC / STAMP =
chip to drive these.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Any thoughts?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alex</FONT>