[simpits-tech] Driving Synchros - Here is what I found...

Erwin Neyt simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:01:49 +0200

Gene, Marv,

I found this Air Core Driver, it produces the needed SIN/COS signals.

In your previous post you said, I quote:

"The two electromagnets are fed voltages that are
multiplied by the  sine and the cosine of the desired angle which you
want the needle to point.  If you feed the two electromagnets AC signals
that are 90 degrees out of phase the needle will spin, completing one
revolution for each cycle of AC."

That excactly what the Philips SA5775 does.

>From the spec sheet:
The SA5775A is a monolithic driver for controlling air-core (or
differential) meters typically used in automotive instrument cluster
applications. The circuit interfaces with a microprocessor through a serial
bus and directly drives the air-core meter. The SA5775A has 10-bit
resolution (0.35 degree) and is guaranteed to be monotonic. Data can be
shifted through the part, allowing several SA5775As to be cascaded with only
one chip-select line. On-chip current shut down logic protects the circuit
from external faults.

Take a look at the application note I included. Other similar products are
the SA5777 and the SA5778. More info on
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/ (search on the part numbers and
follow the links to additional info)

The good thing is that these chips sell for <$10

Let me know how this looks to you guys,

Erwin.