[simpits-tech] Driving Synchros - Here is what I found...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:09:44 -0800 (PST)

> However, I do have another proposal.  I believe I can build a small
> microprocessor based board that will accept a serial data input with 12
> bits of precision that will produce two 12 bit precision analog outputs
> designed to drive a single 4-wire synchro.

You sure they're only 4 wire?  How many wires did that one I gave you have
on it?  I don't recall.

> About 0.18 degrees of resolution.  That is, 12 bits minus 1 bit of noise
> for 11 bits or 2^11 which is 2048.  If you divide 360 by 2048 you get
> 0.1758 degrees.  I think that amount of movement is fine enough for us
> regular guys and girls.

10 bits would work as well.  That should give you 1024 positions.

> The other issue is latency.  There will be a small amount of time
> between when the digital number is received and when the value is
> translated to the synchro.  I would expect that latency to be under 10
> milliseconds.  I think that is plenty quick enough for us.

10ms is fine.  150ms is the high end limit for a Class D FTD.

> micro.  Each board could be "strapped" with an address using jumpers so
> you can assign a unique place in the data string to grab its data.

I2C or SPI/Microwire would work well here.

g.