[simpits-tech] Warm Welcome - Thanks

Bill Kaufman simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 02:43:14 GMT

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the list. As requested, I posted some photos
of my locomotive simulator to the files area on simpits. I have others but
these give you an idea of what I am doing.

The simulator is based on a General Electric model U33C locomotive, built
in 1974. The cab of most GE locomotives built between the mid 60's and mid
80's used a similar cab, so this simulator could represent any model built
during this time frame. The cab is home built using fixtures removed from
scrap locomotives. The nose was removed from a scrap locomotive. Everything
is full-size and all the fixtures used in the project were removed from
locomotives.

I am currently building the control systems. Originally I was going to
build my own PC-to-simulator interface but when I found the EPIC system,
all of that went out the window! I really like the EPIC concept and I am
working my way through redesigning the simulator wiring to work with the
EPIC. The EPIC will allow me to interface the simulator to some of the
commercially available train simulators. I can get the data into the PC
through the keyboard but I do not have a way of getting the data out of the
packages yet...

I hope you enjoy the photos. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Bill