[simpits-tech] Driving Resolvers

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:23:36 -0500

Okay, my limited knowledge of resolvers is that it is a mechanism to
read the position of a shaft.  I think you have a synchro.

A synchro can probably drive an ADI since they use precision bearings,
but it might require a little current.

Here is a portion of my Syncro 101 post:

"A synchro is essentially a compass needle with two electromagnets
located at the perimeter of the needle, one at the North pole and one at
the East.  By varying the magnitude and the polarity of the current
induced in the two electromagnets, you can make the needle point
anywhere on the dial!  The two electromagnets are fed voltages that are
multiplied by the  sine and the cosine of the desired angle which you
want the needle to point.  If you feed the two electromagnets AC signals
that are 90 degrees out of phase the needle will spin, completing one
revolution for each cycle of AC.

You can also reverse the process and induce two AC signals with a
synchro and use it as a means to indicate the rotational position of an
object.  "Note: this is a resolver."

Another issue for the synchro is the interface.  There are chips made to
do this, but they cost about $100.  A hobbiest can roll their own.  You
simply need two digital to analog converters and a small
microcontroller.  The micro would contain a sine lookup table and could
translate a digital value (say for instance, fuel quantity) to the two
digital equivalents which are then output to the two digital to analog
converters that feed the synchro.  You need a good set of digital to
analog converters with enough resolution and speed or it will look like
a stepper motor when it moves.  You can add a small capacitor to the
outputs to take some of the edge off of the movement."

As you can see, rolling your own isn't that hard.  I haven't tried it
yet, but I probably will (in between making knobs, and a half dozen
other goodies for you guys).  If I get a design I like, I will share it
with you.  Basically, a small micro like a Basic Stamp might do the
trick.  If you can get a 10-bit Digital to Analog converter cheap enough
(actually, two) you can make the interface.

I don't know how your ADI is built, but you need to get an interface
specification for it if you have any hope at all of making it work as it
was originally designed.  You may find that a significant challenge in
itself.

On a related subject, I just ordered and received a mico-servo to play
with for analog gauges.  Using some gearing I can make a full 360-degree
rotation, but that will not work for an ADI unless you never do
aerobatics.  ;-)

However, the basic gauge module I have in mind, if I succeed, will be
able to drive any of the 9 other gauges used in the F-16.  I plan to
make a 1" diameter module that will accept any size "head" to make the
finished gauge.  The reason I like the servo solution for the other
gauges is it a simpler interface solution that is affordable.

Marv