[simpits-tech] Driving LED displays via a serial line

Ken Trager simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 22:55:26 -0400

Rob,

The MM5451 is no longer avaible from Radio Shack - The only chip like that
from Radio Shack is the MM5450 (Cat.#: 900-6842)- the trouble with that chip
is that output bit 35 (Data Enable)  is not used for a light but a latch bit. For the
data to be loaded bit 35 must be pulled low. I brougt 7 of these chips because
you can sent one data line to all chips and just pull output bit 35 low for the chip
you want to loaded the data into. If bit 35 is not pulled low the data will not load
in into that chip.

Iam glad I got all the chips I needed from Radio Shack before there were out.

Ken Trager