[simpits-chat] Dr. Fun III

John P. Miguez simpits-chat@simpits.org
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 08:21:47 -0600

Rob, You forgot that my church, Roman Catholic, invented the holy war.  We
called them crusades.
:)

I must object to be lumped in with sheep, cow and simpletons.  LOL  I may be
a fool, but not a cow or simpleton.

My faith is a direct result of much studying, praying and questioning.
Faith is a very dynamic thing, some days it is strong, some days weak.  It
is also tends to be a private thing. A relationship (friendship) between you
and God.  Like may things, the man or woman who is always trying to tell you
about their faith, is one who doesn't have much faith.  Their talking is a
way to convince themselves that they have faith.

In reference to Ben Jones' reply: a review of history will show that most
(if not all) of the great social movements that have made our world better
have had a faith based genesis.  Look at marriage, (which use to keep
families together so the children would have a chance of being happy) human
rights, slavery, women's and children's rights.  All of these started
because people of faith believed that things were wrong.

The Christian church laid the foundation for modern democracy and the
western world.  Although, some people in America try to think otherwise and
rewrite history, the great concepts that made up our constitution were based
on Judeo-Christian beliefs.  The founding fathers, for the most part, were
all men of faith.  Even the religion we all love to hate, Islam, saved the
world from the dark ages by keeping science, math, art and learning alive
when Europe descended back into prehistory.  What works of learning that did
survive, were because of the Christian monks.

I do not wish to argue with any of you.  You are entitled to your own belief
or lack of beliefs.  Most of you are rather young.  It is my contention (
from a 55 yr old position) that very few people feel a need for God until
they are 30 or so.  I do ask that you do not fall into the same trap that
the religious zealots or any zealot; that is, writing off everyone who
doesn't believe the way you believe.

I say again, the most dangerous person in the world is a zealot.  He can do
great good, as did the early Christian fathers, or great harm, as did the
Islam zealots.  But, you will never stop him with reason.

Best to all of you,

John