[simpits-chat] Website update...

Chris Woodul simpits-chat@simpits.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:51:13 -0500

Hi Sean,

I would love to see a shot of that recruiting poster, I bet it looks shit
hot. I know the folks at ASTI who are trying to buy the Kiwi A-4's and they
are pushing real hard to make it happen. Lots of red tape.

The Tacan is a Collins ARN-118 and happens to be the tall version ( there is
a narrow version that has the same layout of window and switches but less
panel on top and bottom) This is the same unit that is in many US airplanes,
and also is in my F-111s. I come accross them occasionally. I know I have
many brand new edge lit panels for them. The knobs are the hard part to find
though.

Today I flew down to Houston for part of the day to look at the Collings
Foundation's UH-1E Huey which I am going to do a total interior rework on
( somehow in my spare time) They also have an F-4 Phantom that Steve Ritchie
( famous mig killer from Nam') flies around. I am going to do some work with
that as well I think, as well as provide ejection seat components for thier
TA-4J. I am discussing some flight time in the TA-4J in lieu of money for
those pieces of equipment.

How often were there A-4 crashes in NZ?
If any were ejections successful or fatal? You are too far away for me to
hear about them and I have always been curious. Also I am curious if the GE
powered Kiwi A-4s ( dry F/A-18 engine) had a different or modified throttle
quadrant?

Thanks,

Chris