[simpits-chat] United States Navy Flops a f18 on landing

Sean Galbraith simpits-chat@simpits.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:50:22 +1300

> > Marine??  No wonder!
> >
> > :)  Air Force drivers know how to retard throttles.
> >
> > John
> > Ex USAF Jock
>
>And I'm told that marines know how to throttle retards  ;)

Yeah, I've met a couple of marines....these guys actually *like* to fight... :)

The story about the F-4 was dramatised and re-told in Stephen Coontz' book
"The Intruders".  Though it's fiction, a bunch of the events in the book
draw from real life incidents.  It's a really good read, along with all of
his novels; Flight of the Intruders, The Intruders, Final Flight, Under
Siege, the Minotaur, The Red Horsemen, Cuba, Hong Kong, America (I've
probably forgotten some...)

If you want an insight into modern-ish US Navy carrier operations, read the
first 3, very cool stuff :)

Sean.