[simpits-chat] RFD - website changes & updates...

Sean Galbraith simpits-chat@simpits.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:44:04 +1300

At 10:56 AM 1/13/03 -0800, you wrote:
>First of all, we've managed to collect 28 members on the simpits-chat
>list.  I was right, the Usual Suspects showed up and basically no one
>else.  This is in line with the ongoing, pathetic lack of participation by
>the list membership at large.  The exception of course is you, The Usual
>Suspects. *grin*

28! ... actually that sounds about fair :)

>First of all, I'm nearing completion on the profile editor.  I need to
>assemble the edit & display pages.  Creating new profiles work fine.
>I've added a fullname field so people can use a handle for their login
>name.
>
>When this is done, it will fill out the data on the profile pages
>(currently at http://www.simpits.org/aboutus/profiles.html) from the
>membership database instead of from a static page.

Bloody good!  I really like the idea of putting a face (and a pit) to a
name....

>Second, I'm going to restrict access to the file areas to registered users
>only.  This should put a stop to the wget users that show up, snarf the
>content and then are never to be seen from again.  You should see what it
>does to how much bandwidth is used when some knob has 10 streams going,
>trying to grab all 400+ files on the website file are at once. :)

>When the registration system goes live, I'm going to shut off the FTP site
>entirely and move all the files to the website download area.

Hokay, a suggestion (well *some* suggestions actually...babble mode on)....
to entice those on the fringe who are not (yet) a member, how about a
"greatest hits" type of photo gallery?  A little teaser of what's around...
and maybe some sort of automated links of the day kinda dribble, for those
who wont search through the links page....  Just something dynamic for the
casual observer.....

>Third, membership will be free, but you MUST be subscribed to at least the
>simpits-ann list.  If a person fills out the profile application and their

Yep totally agree with that...

>You'll notice that I didn't post this to simpits-tech.  The reason for
>this is that frankly, 99% of the participating members are on this list.
>People that participate in the community get to help decide the direction
>of the community, while the rest of them can stand out in the rain and
>wonder what the hell is going on. :)

probably get flamed for posting OT anyway...... ;-)

>I'm interested in hearing from you - I _want_ input on these things that
>I'm about to put into effect.  Are there changes or additions you'd like
>to see?  This is _your_ resource, I'm just the cranky librarian. :)

Well Mr Librarian, or can I call you "Cranky"?  I think you're doing a
bloody wonderful job, and when are you going to tell the rest of them about
your O2 panel?  huh huh?  Enquiring minds want to know?  :)

Sean <who got the throttle mounted in the A-4 tonight, then discovered that
the mounting bracket I had just machined.... didn't fit!!!!!>