[simpits-chat] How the 'ell do I...

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:51:35 +0000

>...and how *is* your project going ;-)

>Sean <who watched "Apollo 13" again yesterday...can you tell>

As always, in a frantic search for information, space, and funding, but
other than that, just peachy. I found a couple more books from World
Spaceflight News on Amazon.com that look REALLY helpful, now I just gotta
find the cash to get them. Which reminds me: Go to Amazon.com and do a
search for World Spaceflight News and see what they have on Apollo, chances
are, quite a bit. One of the books they have for Mercury is a complete
specification book on the MA-9 capsule. I'm drooling over that one, cant
wait until I get it.

So have you played around much with the Orbiter software yet? NASSP 3.0 (the
primary Apollo add-on for Orbiter) was released a short while ago. I still
havent tried it yet, but from what I hear its pretty good. I haven't even
played the latest version of Orbiter much at all yet, I'm waiting for Rob
Conley to come out with an updated Mercury for the new version. I've got
some extremely hi-res Mercury 3d models in the works, though, for when he
does. And of course with the new orbiter version the SDK got a few very nice
upgrades. By the time I actually get started on getting the Merc sim coded,
I cant imagine what I'll be able to do...

One recent setback, though, my grad student buddy who was helping out with
the project is going to work for NASA for a year, so he's leaving in a week
or two for Ohio, to go play with "lasers" - that bastard. It's bad enough
he's leaving me without someone to play pool with and harass constantly, but
he's leaving to go work for NASA. I hate him with a passion right about now.
But luckily it'll only be a year. I'm gonna have to get a job in his lab,
I'm down there so much already, suddenly I'm not gonna have a reason to go
down there, it'll feel wierd. Oh well.

Brian

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup