[simpits-chat] Framed

Joseph Fagner simpits-chat@simpits.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:44:15 -0600

this working.

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-chat-admin@simpits.org [mailto:simpits-chat-admin@simpits.org]
On Behalf Of Stig Joergensen
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 6:27 PM
To: simpits-chat@simpits.org
Subject: RE: [simpits-chat] Framed

Here is an example of using telnet as a mail program....

start telnet in dos prompt :

"c:\>telnet 192.168.2.2 25"

(192.168.2.2 is my mailserver, change that to the mailserver on campus)

the server will answer your request with something like (in the example
this is a:)

"220 ESMTP ready at  Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:06:43 +0100"

now type ( following is this t:)

"HELO"

a: 250 mail.clearsky.dk Hello [192.168.2.18]
t: MAIL From: stig.joergensen@clearsky.dk
a: 250 2.1.0 stig.joergensen@clearsky.dk....Sender OK
t: RCPT To: stig.joergensen@clearsky.dk
a: 250 2.1.5 stig.joergensen@clearsky.dk
t: DATA
a: 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
t: this is a test mail
t: .
a: 250 2.6.0 <Ks6qisdBzPO0000000b@mail.clearsky.dk> Queued mail for
delivery

and woila - the mail is delivered

t: QUIT

for ending the session......

as you can see from this example it is quite easy to send a mail - even
without a mailing program....

be aware of the above should work with all mailserver though the
response from the mail server might not the same, unless they are
running "MS exchange server 2k"

if you can use this example, go ahead - and from the IT department get
the firewall logs (but be careful here - you might open a can of worms
as they will be searching for your ip address, and in doing so they will
see what else you have done on the "net", such as downloading mp3s)

/Stig