[simpits-chat] Mercury Bragging

Brian Sikkema hangr18 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 00:11:40 PST 2003

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It's been a long time in coming, but
it's looking like I'm finally wrapping up and getting these things where
they belong - in flight! :)

Incidently, I meant to mention a little tidbit about the Friendship 7
artwork. Namely, the source for the artwork I've used is the EXACT same
source of the paintwork on the capsule itself! Wonder what I mean? Well,
check this out:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cecebibby/friendship-7/friendship_7.htm
In my research, I managed to find the webpage of Cece Bibby, the artist who
painted Friendship 7, Aurora 7 and Sigma 7!! And she happened to have a scan
of the original on her website - look at the scan on the top right, and
compare it to the paper John Glenn is holding in the picture on the bottom
left - one and the same! The actual artwork on the capsule had some minor
differences, which I also made.

I emailed Mrs. Bibby the other day, and she replied, and seems to be very
cool. There are definitely some good stories on her site, if you poke around
a little bit! And aparently she's still in contact with the remaining
astronauts, as she told me she is going to try to talk Gordy Cooper into
doing an autograph session coming up in September. So cool! :)

Brian