[simpits-chat] Interesting X-Plane pit............

Matt Bailey simpits-chat@simpits.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:42:46 -0500

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 10:20 am, you wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Matt Bailey wrote:
> > Look again......that IS X-Plane. :) That's Fidelity's whole deal.
> >
> > Anyway, I was referring more to the video wall they are using for it. But
> > looking at it again, X-Plane DOES look rather nice on that setup. :)
>
> There's a problem with x-plane views very close to the ground, especially
> for things like the chin window (bottom right). If that's x-plane I wonder
> how they got such a good image.
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
>

> Roy.

	Yes, I believe the Z-buffer (clipping plane?) is too far out. Well, it's not
too far out for normal flying, but it cuts things too close to the viewer.
Moving it in closer is the ticket, but then you'd lose precision on priority
of objects further away........fuselages visible through wings, etc. It's a
compromise, and I'm sure the optimum setup would depend on what kind of
simulation you're doing. Frankly I think we could take a little loss of
precision. The only place I can think of where moving the Z-buffer in a bit
closer might be particularly noticeable would be with static ground objects,
like airport buildings and the autogen stuff. Runways etc always have
priority so we don't have to worry about that. This is what I gather, anyway.
Ben can give you the full scoop if you're really interested.
	My guess with the Fidelity setup is either (1) Austin tweaked the graphics
for them (I would guess by moving the Z-buffer) or (2) the video wall in that
pic is actually utilizing X-Plane's multiple machine setup for display, so
it's got several OpenGL windows there (and hence, several Z-buffers at work).
The latter sounds a lot more likely to me.

	-Matt Bailey