[simpits-chat] Hi All, Happy New Year

Gene Buckle simpits-chat@simpits.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:36:05 -0800 (PST)

Hehehe.  Ever check the "Forums" link off the main simpits.org website? :)

The problem is that instead of "build it and they will come" it is more
like "build it and they'll look at you like you're an idiot."  The forum
has been active for over a year and it gets very little use.

I set up a news server as an alternative to the mailing list.  It was
viewed more as a curiosity than anything else and was only used by a
handful of people before I gave up maintaining it.  The most heard reason
was that it was too hard to use.  I guess configuring a news reader is
just too hard for some people.  That in itself boggles my mind since
they're supposedly here to build incredibly complex cockpits.  Nobody even
asked how to use it.  They arbitrarily stamped "too hard" on it and
ignored it.

I set up a private IRC server for the group to use.  That just got me
hacked by some snot-nosed little pigfucker from Romania.  Again, most
didn't use it because IRC seemed to be too much to grasp.

It's intensely frustrating at times.  When I moved the list from the spam
and ad ridden mess at Yahoo, at least 30 people bailed right away because
the new list archiving method was "too hard to understand" or they
couldn't post to the list from a website.  I figure that gang liked all
the spam and tack-on ads that are the trademark of yahoo.

Out of the 269 people currently subscribed to the list, I'm willing to bet
that over 200 of the have _never_ posted so much as an introduction to the
list.  There are about 20 people that post on a fairly constant basis.  Of
that group, I'd say that at least 15 of them have been with the list since
it started in 1999.  This group is what I call the Usual Suspects. :)  If
there is a lot of traffic going on, it's usually due to something that one
of the Usual Suspects(tm) have either said or done.  They're also the
coolest bunch on the whole list. :)  BTW, you're also one of the Usual
Suspects because you post amusing, interesting or inquisitive things to
the list on a regular basis. :)

g.